Monday, March 18, 2013

Rest in God


Rest In God

 

PSALM 62 1: My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.  (NIV)

 

What do these two verses mean to you?

 

What about rest? Have you ever thought about what rest means?

 

What do you think rest means?

 

Rest: Hebrew word for rest is dumiyya, which means silence, stillness, still. And the Greek means peace and/or relief. Now, re-read this verse, what do you think rest is?

 

Let’s go to Exodus 33:12-14 12Moses said to the Lord, “You have been telling me, ‘Lead these people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, ‘I know you by name and you have found favor with me.’ 13If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people.” 14The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” NIV

 

1 Chronicals 22:9 But you will have a son who will be a man of peace and rest, and I will give him rest from all his enemies on every side. His name will be Solomon, and I will grant Israel peace and quiet during his reign. NIV

1 Chronical 22:17-19 Then David ordered all the leaders of Israel to help his son Solomon. 18He said to them, “Is not the Lord your God with you? And has he not granted you rest on every side? For he has handed the inhabitants of the land over to me, and the land is subject to the Lord and to his people. 19Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the Lord your God NIV

1 Chronicels 23:24-25  24These were the sons of Levi according to their fathers’ households, even the heads of the fathers’ households of those of them who were counted, in the number of names by their census, doing the work for the service of the house of the LORD, from twenty years old and upward. 25For David said, “The LORD God of Israel has given rest to His people, and He dwells in Jerusalem forever. NASB

Isaiah 14:1-3 When the LORD will have compassion on Jacob and again choose Israel, and settle them in their own land, then strangers will join them and attach themselves to the house of Jacob. 2The peoples will take them along and bring them to their place, and the house of Israel will possess them as an inheritance in the land of the LORD as male servants and female servants; and they will take their captors captive and will rule over their oppressors.

      3And it will be in the day when the LORD gives you rest from your pain and turmoil and harsh service in which you have been enslaved… NASB

 

Describe for me rest in these verses

 

What part of your life do you seek peace or relief in?

 

Have you ever felt the rest as described here?

 

New Testament.

 

Hebrews 3:16-19. 16Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the desert? 18And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief. NIV

 

 Hebrews 4:Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith. A 3Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger, a

‘They shall never enter my rest.’”b

And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world. 4For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “And on the seventh day God rested from all his work.”c 5And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”

6It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience. 7Therefore God again set a certain day, calling it Today, when a long time later he spoke through David, as was said before:

“Today, if you hear his voice,

do not harden your hearts.”d

8For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. 11Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience. NIV

Are there places in your life where there is unrest, spiritually speaking?

Psalm 95:11“Therefore I swore in My anger, Truly they shall not enter into My rest.”

Look at Hebrews Chapter 4, verse one again.

Turn to Hebrews Chapter 12, verses 15: “See to it that no man misses the grace of God and no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.”

Look again at Hebrews Chapter 3, verse 18 and 19: “18And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief”


 

How do you receive rest? Through belief and freedom in Christ.

 

Galatians 5:1 states that it is for freedom that Christ has set free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery (bondage)

 

Hebrews 11:6 says, "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

 

John 14:21, "He that has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved of My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."

 

Mathew 11:28“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment